Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sailing the Seas for Batiks

One of the exciting events that occurred in April of 2017 was a 12 day cruise of the Caribbean.  I had no way of doing anything quilty other than reading a few quilting magazines by the pool on our beautiful ship.  We did schedule several excursions to the nearby islands so I was hoping I could find some fabrics to bring home.

The last island we visited was St. Kitts.  I knew I had a good chance of finding some fabric there, especially batiks.  To my surprise, one of the two locations this excursion would take us to was a batik factory!  The bad news was the stop was only 20 minutes long!  The bus pulled up to the side of the road where we could see several clothes lines covered with large sheets of batik fabrics drying in the beautiful sunshine!

Inside the building was a room where several fabrics were being made with wax and a variety of inks in a rainbow of colors.  I watched some of the process but I kept my eye on the clock to make sure I left enough time to shop.  And shop I did!  My wonderful husband said "get what you want".  He's a keeper!

After shopping and picking out a 3 yard length of beautiful fabric, we left the building to see some of the flower filled grounds.  Then it was time to get back on the bus!

I was also able to purchase some batik fabric from a shop in Antigua which was imported from India.  Of course I could not resist a good sale so I bought 2 yards there.





This picture was taken in front of a 400 year old tree.  It made me feel very young!


This was our chariot for the day.  The driver knew lots of wonderful stories about the island.  No one was left behind today, even if they took more than 20 minutes!


These are the treasures I bought on the cruise.  The blue fabric was purchased in Antigua and the large leaf fabric was purchased in St. Kitts.  I hope both places survived the devastating hurricanes that hit the islands recently.  I am not sure how the fabrics will be used but I am sure I will find the perfect pattern for them which will bring back lots of good memories of my island shop-hop!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your comments!