Thursday, February 22, 2018

Farmer's Wife Quilt - Update 1

It's been a while since I updated the status of this project.  My original post is dated 2/10/2015 so maybe "a while" is a relative term.  I did choose the accurate title for that post - "My Intentional UFO" - it still holds true today!  You can see that post here.

I decided that in 2018 I was ready for a project that I could work on for an extended period of time as my schedule allowed, and had no deadlines or pressure to finish.  I wanted something that I would enjoy doing and that would teach me new quilting techniques or refresh ones I had not done in a while.  The project chosen in 2015 was still a good choice in 2018.  As indicated in my original post, I already purchased the book for The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt and started choosing blocks and fabrics that I would use so I just picked up from where that project left off.

I did decide against using the 30s fabrics as originally chosen though.  I eventually chose the "Simply Harvest" line of fabrics by Marcus fabrics.  I will also use some Moda Marble solids with this fabrics to add a bit of variety since there are 111 blocks in this project.


My original post may have mentioned that I joined a Face Book page called Farmer's Wife Quilt Revival Class 2018. It was started by Karen Walker.  The purpose of the page is to provide a way to make this sampler quilt using rotary cutter techniques.  It has been a wealth of information, support and inspiration.  Karen has created 12 classes for this sampler quilt which explain a variety of techniques to make the blocks.  The classes are available for purchase and I have found them extremely helpful.  

So, I have completed 8 blocks so far.  I am a bit off my original schedule of 2 blocks per week but I had several projects to complete and my blog was getting a much needed makeover!  I didn't want to add anything to the older blog while it was undergoing the revisions.  My new blog now has a separate page where I can list all the blocks and the order in which I will hope to make them.  You can see this new page in my navigation bar.  Here are my first 8 blocks.

 

Taking pictures really helps to point out mistakes!  My broken dishes block had an oops in the bottom left corner!  I quickly fixed this before it was sewn together!   


 Now, it's ready to sew!  I love the design boards that I used to move my blocks from cutting board to sewing machine to ironing board.  I learned to make these from a tutorial I saw on the Fat Quarter Shop YouTube page. They are very easy to make and make the blocks in progress very portable!  

I hope to have several blocks cut in the next 2 weeks.  Watch for the next update!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your comments!