Tuesday, August 30, 2016

APQ 2016 August UFO

The August UFO, my jelly roll race quilt, was a good selection for me after my harried time of getting my hand quilting project finished by the end of July.  This new UFO project was not part of a class nor was it a gift so there was not the usual pressure to get it done in a timely manner.  I made it because I was intrigued with the jelly roll race process that was all the rage at the time.  It was already pretty far along in the construction stage only needing borders to complete the top.  I had all the fabrics on hand, not only for the borders but for the backing and binding as well. I started this jelly roll race quilt when I saw a video of the process on You Tube. I was just starting to watch quilting tutorials on You Tube and saw several on the jelly roll race quilt. Then I saw the tutorial by Jenny Doan on the MSQC site. I knew then I just had to make one.  This type of quilt was made from one jelly roll and could be done is less than an hour, or so "they" said! This was my kind of quilt!  

When I researched the origin of the jelly roll race quilt I learned that the jelly roll was invented and trademarked by Moda Fabrics in September of 2010 according to The Sewing Directory blog.  I had not yet gotten hooked on the precuts which were now appearing on a regular basis along with all kinds of quilt patterns for them.  I must admit, I was getting very intrigued by them.  

In the previous post on my UFO Challenge projects I stated that my jelly roll race quilt was started last year, but when I looked back at the history of this project, it was actually started in in July of 2014 - time flies!  I did spend some time looking for a jelly roll that I liked and that had yardage that would make nice borders and backing.  I found them on the MSQC site and ordered them shortly afterwards.  I really did complete the strip piecing part of the top in about an hour!  The joining of the 42 strips end-to-end took a good portion of the time.  But then the sewing of the strip units together went along smoothly.  I liked the process! I would do it again!


When I was at the decision point for the border fabrics, I changed my mind from what I thought I would do and put the project aside for a while. I finally chose the alternative fabrics and placed the order for them.  But by that time, I had moved on to another project.  I added this to the UFO Challenge to get it completed since it was so far along and the challenge would inspire me to get it done in time to use it during the cool nights at our mountain cabin. This is a very young UFO for me! 

At this point, the top is completed and double bordered.  I have the pine-cone themed backing ready to go.  I also have the binding fabric ready but not yet cut (shown at the bottom of the picture below).  I originally thought I would do a flanged binding but I am reconsidering that method for a more traditional hand-sewn binding.  My other decision to make is whether I want to machine quilt it myself or send it out.  I am leaning more towards quilting it myself right now.  The quilt will finish at 60" x 75".  The fabrics used are from the "Through the Winter Woods" line by Holly Taylor for Moda. Stay tuned to see the quilt in use on a cozy couch!  



So, what did I learn from this project?  Well, even though there was very little cutting involved, it was important to sew my 1/4" seams so the strips did not "elbow".  I was also very careful about pressing the seams - there were a lot of them!  

Now to wait to see what project is chosen for the September UFO!  Eight down, four to go!  

1 comment:

Looking forward to your comments!