Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Double Header Day!

I have been striving to complete my UFOs over the last several months.  So far I have been making good progress.  I have now just finished two small wall hangings that have been in my UFO pile for quite a while now, years in fact.  All they needed were bindings.  It took a while but I finally attached the binding.  Once the binding was attached, it was a long time until I found time to do the hand sewing part of the binding.  They just never seemed to rise to the top of the pile.  Until now. 

My strategy has been to work on the low hanging fruit first.  There was no overwhelming need to have them done.  They were not gifts, they were not needed for a holiday decoration.  But, in the scheme of things, they required very little time to complete so it made sense to finish these first.

These are the two completed wall hangings.  The blocks are the same and in the same arrangement in each one, but they are done in a positive-negative setting. 

 
This picture shows the back of the wall hangings.  The quilting was done by Karen Thompson.  She used the leaf pattern on the backing as an inspiration for the overall quilting.  It works very well! 

 
This is one of the wall hangings finally on the quilt rack on one side of the fireplace!  It is actually hanging very straight, the Hubs is an engineer, so the shelf is perfectly level and centered.  I just didn't take a very straight photo!  The other wall hanging is on the opposite side of the fireplace.  Unfortunately, it hangs behind our flat screen TV so you only get to see the top block and half of the second block but you get the idea.  The quilt racks were purchased at a quilt show sometime in 2009.  They were custom made and stained to match our furniture.  The shelf is the perfect place to display some of my Jim Shore pieces. 
 
 
Next "fruit" to be picked is a small lap quilt that needs to be bound.  The binding strips are cut but need to be sewn together and attached to the lap quilt.  This binding will be all done by machine.  I think I see a pattern here!  After that is completed, there are two small table runners that need to be sandwiched, quilted and bound.  I won't go more than those three projects ahead since you never know when Murphy's Law will rear it's ugly head! 
 
Stay tuned!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to your comments!